Tuesday, January 12, 2010

System Resume

Wow! i am finally done with all the management entrance tests. One would have thought that i would now get a chance to put my feet up...not happening!
January is still not over and i have already taken two tests(one horrible, the other was appetizing) and even given a job interview.
Looking back at the day of counseling, when i chose to condemn myself to four years of captivity in the school of uncool, i wonder what inspired me to take that decision. Ah! Campus Placements. That was what all engineering was about. A comfortable job in a snazzy IT company. Then Recession happened. Anyways 2010 came with the news of placements. It all happened too fast. Our college had arranged pre-placement trainings. HA HA HA. So i travel for three hours and reach No man's land and get a careless apology by the trainer guy that he had an "important meeting". Of course he had. No time for lesser mortals. Seething, fuming I came back pledging never to attend another one of his "enlightening sessions". I instead spent my time buying classy interview formals and getting a new hair cut in one of those overpriced Salons. Much better use of time and much more rewarding. Making my resume was mortifying.....

Objectives
er..........ummmm...........well...........ahem

Education
attended school
they kicked me out with avg grades
attended college
they will kick me out with avg grades

Accomplishments
  1. managed to keep myself alive for 21 years
  2. have survived on junk food for three years
  3. am taller than 90 percent of the guys in my class ;-)
Interests
novels, movies, music (what else has meaning in this world!)

Skills
  1. procrastinating
  2. cooking up excuses
  3. dozing off during lectures(certified)
Well it was disastrous so i had to ahem paraphrase. That was done. Next on my checklist was "mugging up" basically i had to mug up everything i had studied (or was supposed to anyway) in a span of 1 and a half day. It was impossible but that made it fun actually(it dint happen but well something's better than nothing).
I reached the venue on "THE APTITUDE TEST DAY" looked at the rest of em, realized i was overdressed(Shit!). There was a lot of staring and pointing. Mortification Rehashed. After that there was the aptitude test. The tension in the room was palpable. I was so relieved when my name wasn't called(they were calling out the names of the people who weren't selected). It wouldn't have gone down well with my suit. The next day was the interview.
Getting ready in two hours, traveled another three hours to reach the venue, waited three and a half hours for my turn. The interview lasted for exactly 10 minutes. I was stumped twice. Once when she asked why she should take me?(I dont know I wont take myself)
And again when she said Fountain Head is a bad novel (Lady! Are you a Mills and Boons fan?) Rest was plain technical stuff. They haven't still informed whether i am in. Well in or out, it was some experience. Lesson: no matter how prepared you are it is very hard not to be yourself.






1 comment:

  1. procrastination and sleeping through lectures, what would college be without those pastimes, eh?
    Good writing , light hearted and very readable !

    ReplyDelete